New season green asparagus spears and lemony crème fraîche on a puff pastry base, topped with Comté and baked until the pastry is flaky and the topping is bubbling and golden brown.
- Heat the oven to 185ºC fan / 205ºC normal.
- Mix the lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of the juice into the crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if wished.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into 4 equal-sized rectangles and lightly score a 1cm border around the edges. Place them onto baking parchment on two baking trays and, using the back of a spoon, spread the centres with crème fraîche, up to (but not over) the scored borders.
- Arrange 4 asparagus spears on top of each tart and arrange the Comté on top.
- Bake the tarts for 25 to 30 minutes, until the pastry is deep golden brown and the cheese is bubbling and golden brown in patches – half way through cooking, you may wish to swap the baking trays over and turn them around to ensure the tarts cook evenly.
- Once the tarts are ready, allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
Recipe © Laura Pope